A/Professor Edwin Chan Shih Yen
BSc, BVMS(Hons), PhD
Chief Scientific Officer, SCRI
Associate Professor, Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Singapore
Director, Cochrane Singapore
A/Prof Edwin Chan is the Chief Scientific Officer at SCRI. He also serves as the Director of Australasian Cochrane Centre’s Singapore Branch.
In SCRI, he has been instrumental in organising and conducting post-graduate research training in biostatistics, epidemiology, clinical practice guidelines development, meta-analysis and critical appraisal. Besides being an Associate Professor at the Duke-National University of Singapore Graduate Medical School, A/Prof Chan plays the role of expert advisor to the Ministry of Health on Clinical Practice Guideline development, on top of his training and advisory roles to healthcare institutes.
- Systematic review methodology for intervention, diagnostic and observational studies
- Critical appraisal methods for clinical research literature
- Clinical decision-making involving diagnostic and screening test strategies
- Maiwald M, Chan ES. The forgotten role of alcohol: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the clinical efficacy and perceived role of chlorhexidine in skin antispesis. PLoS One 2012: 7(9):e44277. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0044277.
- Sia AT, Tan KH, Sng BL, Lim Y, Chan ESY, Siddiqui FJ. Use of hyperbaric versus isobaric bupivacaine for spinal anaesthesia for caesarean section. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 5. Art. No.: CD005143. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD005143.pub2
- Lim KC, Wang VW, Siddiqui FJ, Shi LM, Chan ESY, Oh HC, Tan SB, Chow P. Cost-effectiveness analysis of liver resection versus transplantation for early hepatocellular carcinoma within the Milan criteria. Hepatology May 2014; DOI: 10.1002/hep.27135.
- Kuo YL, Chan ESY, Lee LL. The association between built environment attributes and physical activity in East Asian adolescents: a systematic review. Asia-Pac J of Public Health 2016 Apr; 28(3):206-18.
Ang TL, Fock KM, Tan MTK, Assam PA, Chan ESY. Impact of Asia-Pacific guidelines on gastric cancer and Helicobacter pylori infection on prevailing clinical practices. J Digestive Dis. 2016 Feb; 17:122-127.doi:10.1111/1751-2980.12317.
Dalan R, Liew HL, Assam PN, Chan ESY, Siddiqui FJ, Tan AWK, Chew DEK, Boehm BO, Leow MKS. A randomized controlled trial evaluating the impact of targeted vitamin D supplementation on endothelial function in type 2 diabetes mellitus: The DIMENSION trial. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2016 May; 13(3): 192-200.. doi: 10.1177/1479164115621667.
Chan YC, Lo YL, Chan ESY. Immunotherapy for diabetic amyotrophy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016 Sep (updated), Issue 6. Art. No.: CD006521. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006521.pub3 .
Zheng Q, De Souza NN, Shi L, Chan ESY. A systematic review on compliance with QUADAS-2 application guideline. Abstracts of the 24th Cochrane Colloquium, 23-27 October 2016, Seoul, South Korea. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 10 (Suppl 2).
Chen Y, Yang K, Marušić A, Qaseem A, Meerpohl JJ, Flottorp S, Akl EA, Schünemann HJ, Chan ESY, Falck-Ytter Y, Ahmed F. A Reporting Tool for Practice Guidelines in Health Care: The RIGHT StatementThe RIGHT Statement. Annals of internal medicine. 2017 Jan 17;166(2):128-32.
Zheng Q, Djohan AH, Lim E, Ding ZP, Ling LH, Shi L, Chan ESY, Chin CW. Effects of Aortic Valve Replacement on Severe Aortic Stenosis and Preserved Systolic Function: Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis. Scientific Reports. 2017;7.
Maneeton M, Suttajit S, Maneeton B, Likhitsathian S, Eurviyanukul K, Udomratn P, Chan ESY, Si TM, Sulaiman AH, Chen CH, Bautista D, Srisurapanont M. Clinical and socio-demographic correlates of anxious distress in Asian outpatients with major depressive disorder. Nordic J Psychiatry. 2017 Jun; doi: 10.1080/08039488.2017.1335344.
Siddiqui FS, Assam PN, de Souza NN, Sultana R, Dalan R, Chan ESY. Diabetes control: is vinegar a promising candidate to help achieve the targets? International Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders. 2017;2(1).